Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do you provide fingerprinting services?

We will provide fingerprinting services for employment reasons as long as you are a resident of Perry Township or the requesting business is in Perry Township, at no charge. Fingerprinting is normally done Monday - Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. We will fingerprint children at no charge. When children are fingerprinted, the fingerprint cards are turned over to the parents.


Do you provide fingerprint cards?

No. Fingerprint cards are supplied by the agency making the request for fingerprints. We do have cards available for children, at no charge.


When I dial 9-1-1, does the call go directly to the Perry Township Police Department?

9-1-1 calls go directly to the Stark County Sheriff's Office. The 9-1-1 Dispatcher then routes the call to the Perry Township Police Department and you will speak with a Perry Township Police Department Dispatcher. You may also call the Perry Township Police Department directly at (330) 478-5121.


Can I request extra patrol of my home when I am leaving for vacation or for an extended period of time?

Yes. If you call the Police Department, we will add your home to a vacation checklist. The officers get a copy of the list prior to going on patrol.


What can I do about frequent problems or nuisances in my neighborhood?

You can call the Police Department and request additional patrol of your area. When you are reporting ongoing problems, it is helpful to be specific about times, location and descriptions of individuals involved.


What should I do if I suspect criminal activity?

Call the Police Department and report your suspicions. You are the eyes and ears of your neighborhood. You know what is unusual or out of place, we may not. We can not be everywhere at all times and we welcome information and assistance from the community. Every individual shares the responsibility for the safety and security of his or her community. We do not however, ask that anyone put him or herself in jeopardy or take matters into their own hands. If you are reporting suspected criminal activity, be specific about times, descriptions (persons, vehicles, and locations), activity suspected and locations.


Can I make an anonymous complaint or report of criminal activity?

Yes. You are not required to leave your name when you call the department. We would prefer that you provide the information and a phone number so we may get additional details or information if needed but it is not required.


What are my rights and responsibilities when dealing with the police?


Following are recommendations that came about from the first Town Hall Meeting facilitated by the N.A.A.C.P., local government and law enforcement:

In dealing with the police in your car, home or wherever:


·         Remain calm.

·         Remain silent

·         Remain in your car unless asked to get out. 

·         Keep your hands in sight. 

·         Be cooperative.

·         Follow police orders (you can complain later if you feel your rights are being violated).

·         You have the right to refuse a police request but you must comply with a lawful order:

1.      However, determine the difference between a request and an order. Calmly ask the officer if it is a request or an order.

2.      An officer is obligated to tell you right away why you have been stopped. If he does not, you may complain later.

     ·         Keep your driver's license and proof of insurance in an easy-to-find  place. You must always keep your car registration in your car.


If you feel you are treated unfairly or wronged by the police officer:


-At the time of the incident:

-Get the officer's name from the name pin the officer is wearing.


1. Get the badge number from the badge the officer is wearing.

2.Get the number of the car from the front or back license plates, from the right or left fenders of the car, or from the sides or the roof of the car.

As soon as possible:

-Write out the incident while it is still fresh in your mind.
-File a written complaint in the jurisdiction where the event happened.-

-Ask for a supervisor when you call or go to the police to file the complaint.

How do I get a copy of a police report? 
Police reports can be obtained from the Records Department. Records is open Monday through Friday during the following hours:

Monday - Friday:  8:00AM - 4:00PM


There is a $2.00 charge for police reports, up to 5 pages. There is an additional charge of 25 cents per page over 5 pages. If you are getting the report for insurance purposes, you may want to get a case number and have your insurance company  request a copy of the report

Perry Township Police (330)478-5121
Canton Police (330)489-3111
Stark County Sheriff (330)438-3800
Jackson Township Police (330)832-1553
Massillon Police (330)832-9811
Alliance Police (330)821-3131

If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint is handled and feel your civil rights have been violated, you have the following options:  

  1. 1. Contact the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Compliance Office: Ray McCloude at City Hall, 480-2054 


  1. 2. Contact the N.A.A.C.P.: Dr. Robert Jackson, 492-1665 (open to anyone)  


  1. 3. Contact the FBI: 456-6200  


  1. 4. Contact your City Council Representative, Township or Village Officials. (Perry Twp. 833-2141)